In 1965 "Horticultural Experimental Station" was opened here to collect and
study gardening and landscaping plants, and to develop techniques for their cultivation, breeding and use.
In 1975 it become "Experimental Station of Plants for Landscaping" considering academic trends
regarding the role of landscape plants to protect environmental degradation and to improve
amenity of life as important. In 1989 it was renamed as "Experimental Station for Landscape Plants"
that is the present name. Sometimes this station was called as "Kemigawa Arboretum".
- Address：Hata-machi 1051, Hanamigawa-ku, Chiba City 262-0018, Japan
- Area： 47,031m2
- Planted trees：about 350 species (500 hortivarieties) including 130 hortivarieties of
Japanese Camellia Camellia japonica and about 30 hortivarieties
of "Sazanqua" (C. sazanqua).
- Cultivated or conserved herbs： About 250 hortivarieties of flowering lotus ( Nelumbo
nucifera, and N. lutea), tens of other aquatic plant species, and tens of lawn grass
- Buildings：Main building, Technicians office,
Camellia garden, and so on.
- President: Nobuhiro Tsutsumi (Professor, D. Agr.)
- Teaching staff: Kazuhiro KATOH (Associate Professor, PhD.)
- Technical staffs: Sadao MINAMI, Yuriko ENOMOTO, Fumiko ISHIZUNA
- Part-time staffs: Masae MASUDA, Masaru SASAGAWA
- Postdoctoral Researcher: Yukio Honda
- Students: Several undergraduate and graduate students. In 2007, 7 graduate students and 2 undergraduate students are studying here.
Annual report of the Station has been published after 1997 (sorry, in Japanese only).
Previously, "Bulletin of Kemigawa Arboretum" was issued eight times from 1960 to 1975.